The Seibold Laboratory is a cutting-edge, NIH funded, laboratory focused on elucidating the pathobiological basis of asthma and other complex lung and allergic diseases. Our goal is to discover pathobiological subgroups of disease (termed disease endotypes) and the genetic, environmental, and immune factors driving their development. We are accomplishing these goals through the integration of genomic endotyping studies of large patient cohorts with in vitro mechanistic studies of human organoid culture models. Ultimately, we will leverage the information gained from our research to develop precision medicine approaches for the diagnosis, management, and treatment of these diseases. The Seibold Laboratory is composed of a multi-disciplinary team of "wet lab" cell, airway, and molecular biologists integrated with "dry lab" computational biologists, bioinformaticians, and statistical geneticists.
To learn more about the lab, please visit https://www.seibold-lab.com.
We are seeking a highly motivated candidate with a background in Stem or Lung Cell Biology, Molecular Genetics, and/or Genetics for a Senior Lab Researcher position in the Seibold Lab. The research in our laboratory focuses on translational genetic and genomic studies of complex lung diseases. This position will be focused on determining the molecular function of genetic disease variants in airway epithelial cells using primary cell culture systems. The successful candidate will use cutting edge molecular tools including CRISPR’s to edit the genome of primary airway and iPS cells to study the function of genetic disease variants. This candidate will also lead studies investigating the molecular effects of environmental exposures on airway epithelial cells and the differentiation of airway stem cells into mucociliary epithelia. The successful applicant will be responsible for performing experiments in the laboratory, which will include tissue culture, cloning, cell exposures and infections, flow cytometry, transfections, real-time PCR, Nex-gen sequencing, fluorescent microscopy, and various cellular assays. The successful applicant will be expected to learn and develop techniques as required by the research project. The successful applicant will be expected to independently lead assigned research projects, which will include experimental design and data analysis, as well as manuscript and presentation preparation. The successful applicant will also be expect to supervise and oversee the work of laboratory trainees.
Successful candidates in the Senior Lab Researcher position will have:
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Effective judgment and problem solving with little supervision is imperative for this position
- Highly motivated and committed to biomedical research
- Multi-tasking and a willingness to learn new technologies
- Cell culturing skills
- Molecular biology skills
Preferred skills and experience:
- Ph.D. in Stem Cell Biology, Cell Biology, Molecular Genetics, Genetics, Immunology, or a related field
- Primary airway epithelial culture
- iPSC derivation and differentiation
- Work with Genome-editing technologies
- Gene expression work including Q-PCR or Nex-gen sequencing
- Microscopy skills
- Flow Cytometry
The position independently performs all phases of experimental investigations and collaborates with the principal investigators in the progress of major research projects. Acts as a technical advisor to laboratory technical, support and auxiliary staff.
- Plans, develops, operates, records, collaborates and reports on research projects.
- Performs as the technical advisor on techniques involving complex analyses utilizing highly sophisticated techniques.
- Provides guidance to laboratory staff, including technicians, support and auxiliary staff.
- Plans, organizes and leads the work of Lab Researchers and Lab Technicians.
- Serves as the primary contact with the research staff for technical services on major techniques, recording devices and statistical procedures relative to the specifically assigned field.
- Reviews quality control of new of modified laboratory techniques which may affect any part of major projects.
- Performs routine and non-routine tests leading to the successful completion of developed experiments.
- Prepares statistical tabulations, using a calculator or computer.
- Demonstrates enhanced proficiency in data analysis, preparation of glassware, extraction and plating procedures, programming and mathematical ordering systems.
- Oversees supply functions, inventory control, equipment use and maintenance, and animal care and ordering, as needed.
- Ensures laboratory and staff compliance with departmental, Institution and regulatory policies
- Maintains compliance with all institutional / safety training requirements.
- Maintains laboratory records, supplies, samples in an organized manner (such as a laboratory notebook and sample storage record).
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Laboratory Knowledge: Demonstrates and understands laboratory testing and methodology.
- Decision Quality: Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgement. Sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Adaptability: Maintains effectiveness in the midst of change in work responsibilities or environment, requirements ambiguity, or stress.
- Problem Solving: Uses issue identification, data relation and comparison, pattern recognition and information gathering to create analyses and make recommendations.
- Informing/Communicating: Conveys ideas, responses, or instructions effectively, appropriately, and persuasively through writing or speech.
- Professional Relationships: Interacts with others in a constructive, positive, and respectful manner, regardless of individual differences. Assists team members or co-workers in achieving personal goals and completing assignments.
- Drive for Excellence: Consistently meets performance expectations, ensures that accurate, objective, and timely measures of quality are made and used.
- Innovation Management: Identifies key trends, opportunities, and organizational capabilities that would bring competitive advantage to the organization. Sees trends before others and integrates concepts in a unique way.
- Be available to work as scheduled and report to work on time.
- Be willing to accept supervision and work well with others.
- Be well groomed, appropriately for your role and wear ID Badge visibly.
- Be in compliance with all departmental and institutional policies, the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and completes NetLearning by due date annually.
- Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the institution.
- Adheres to safe working practices and at all times follows all institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Wears appropriate PPE as outlined by the infection control policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates compliance with all state, federal and all other regulatory agency requirements.
- Education: BS /BA Degree required
- Work Experience: 5 years of Laboratory Experience required. A Master’s Degree and 3 years or laboratory experience may be substituted for the required 5 years of work experience.
- Special Training, Certification or Licensure: None
Salary Range: $49,578 - $65,058