This job posting is no longer active.
The Leung/Goleva laboratory is seeking a highly motivated Lab Researcher to join the team. The laboratory has a major focus on atopic dermatitis and other inflammatory skin diseases. The lab has made significant contributions to the understanding of molecular mechanisms of epidermal differentiation, skin barrier function and immune response in atopic dermatitis. Our work in atopic dermatitis/eczema has contributed to discovery of biomarkers for disease endotyping and many of the recently developed treatments for this disease. The work is now expanded to the role of skin in allergic sensitization/early life atopy development. In addition, the group is involved in studying skin related immune adverse reactions in cancer patients on immunotherapies.
Current projects in the laboratory require in vitro cell culture, work with primary cells and organotypic 3D skin equivalents, fluorescent microscopy, histology, flow cytometry, and molecular biology (real time RT-PCR, Western blots, transfections, siRNA etc.). The work involves processing human specimens (blood, skin biopsies, skin tape strip samples).
Ideal candidates should have experience with bench research through coursework, internships, or another job, and show enthusiasm for the investigative research. Training on specific techniques used in the laboratory will be provided. Previous laboratory experience is a plus.
The position is responsible for planning, developing, executing and monitoring testing techniques and investigative procedures under the direction of a Principal Investigator or Lab Manager.
- Develops new techniques and investigative procedures, including scientific routines, computer programming techniques and data reporting techniques.
- Monitors quality control of routines, experiments, general laboratory activities and the use of research animals in the laboratory setting.
- Performs laboratory functions unique to the assigned laboratory.
- Provides general guidance to laboratory staff, including technicians, support and auxiliary staff. Acts as a leader for laboratory programs and staff in assigned areas.
- Demonstrates enhanced proficiency in data analysis, preparation of glassware, extraction and plating procedures, programming and mathematical ordering systems.
- Prepares statistical tabulations, using a calculator or computer.
- Oversees supply functions, inventory control, equipment use and maintenance, and animal care and ordering, as needed.
- Maintains compliance with all institutional / safety training requirements.
- Maintains laboratory records, supplies, samples in an organized manner (such as a laboratory notebook and sample storage record).
- Acts a liaison to other department personnel, outside investigators, and vendors.
- Performs routine and non-routine tests leading to the successful completion of developed experiments.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Accountability: Accepts full responsibility for self and contribution as a team member; displays honesty and truthfulness; confronts problems quickly; displays a strong commitment to organizational success and inspires others to commit to goals; demonstrates a commitment to National Jewish Health.
- Laboratory Knowledge: Demonstrates and understands laboratory testing and methodology.
- Decision Quality: Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgement. Sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Adaptability: Maintains effectiveness in the midst of change in work responsibilities or environment, requirements ambiguity, or stress.
- Problem-Solving: Uses issue identification, data relation and comparison, pattern recognition and information gathering to create analyses and make recommendations.
- Informing/Communicating: Conveys ideas, responses, or instructions effectively, appropriately, and persuasively through writing or speech.
- Professional Relationships: Interacts with others in a constructive, positive, and respectful manner, regardless of individual differences. Assists team members or co-workers in achieving personal goals and completing assignments.
- Drive for Excellence: Consistently meets performance expectations, ensures that accurate, objective, and timely measures of quality are made and used.
- Innovation Management: Identifies key trends, opportunities, and organizational capabilities that would bring competitive advantage to the organization. See trends before others and integrates concepts in a unique way.
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
- Be available to work as scheduled and report to work on time.
- Be willing to accept supervision and work well with others.
- Be well groomed, appropriately for your role and wear ID Badge visibly.
- Be in compliance with all departmental and institutional policies, the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and completes NetLearning by due date annually.
- Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the institution.
- Adheres to safe working practices and at all times follows all institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Wears appropriate PPE as outlined by the infection control policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates compliance with all state, federal and all other regulatory agency requirements.
- Education: BS /BA Degree required
- Work Experience: 2 years of Laboratory Experience required.A Master’s Degree and laboratory experience may be substituted for the required 2 years of work experience.
- Special Training, Certification or Licensure: None
Salary Range: $41,000 - $47,000
At National Jewish Health, we recognize that our outstanding faculty and staff are the essence of our organization. For every aspect of health care, our employees are our greatest asset.
With that in mind, we have designed a valuable, comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of our employees and their families.
- Medical Plans, Dental Plans and Vision Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- FSA and HSA
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Voluntary Benefits, like Accident Insurance, Critical Care and Hospital Indemnity
- Sick and Vacation Paid Time Off
- Wellness Program
- Legal Plan