This position serves as a language interpreter providing patient centered communication for patients during their scheduled clinical appointments at National Jewish Health. Serves as a liaison between patients/family members and NJH departments in identifying and resolving patient concerns. The overall goal is to improve patient communication, satisfaction and service.
- Provide high quality consecutive interpretation from non-English language to English and English to non-English language between patients/families and NJH clinical staff during clinical encounters. Interpretation should be in easily understood, appropriate conversational language.
- Assists in providing individual patient specific oral or written instructions/information as appropriate and directed by NJH healthcare provider.
- Assist NJH scheduling areas with patient communication as directed by NJH management.
- Develop and maintain an understanding of clinical operations within NJH to facilitate role as interpreter.
- Maintain a high level of customer service skills with all encounters. Effectively facilitates communication and interpretation.
- Observes the rights of a patient including but not limited to Patient Confidentiality, Patient Privacy, and the Patient Bill of Rights. At all times will assure professional and ethical conduct.
- Assesses and monitors patient’s understanding of information conveyed and attempts to facilitate understanding in the event of a communication breakdown.
- Records and monitors interpretation activities according to NJH standards.
- Develops and maintains positive staff relationships both interdepartmentally and intradepartmental.
- Assists in referring patients to appropriate services and resources within National Jewish Health.
- Accountability: Accepts full responsibility for self and contribution as a team member; displays honesty and truthfulness; confronts problems quickly; displays a strong commitment to organizational success and inspires others to commit to goals; demonstrates a commitment to National Jewish Health.
- Business Acumen: Using economic, financial, market, and industry data to understand and improve business results; using one’s understanding of major business functions, industry trends, and own organization’s position to contribute to effective business strategies and tactics.
- Collaboration/Teamwork: Cooperates with others to accomplish common goals; works with employees within and across his/her department to achieve shared goals; treats others with dignity and respect and maintains a friendly demeanor; values the contributions of others.
- Customer Focus: Ensuring that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; crafting and implementing service practices that meet customers’ and own organization’s needs.
- Peer Relationships: Interacts with others in a constructive, positive, and respectful manner, regardless of individual differences. Assists team members or co-workers in achieving personal goals and completing assignments.
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
- Be available to work as scheduled and report to work on time.
- Be willing to accept supervision and work well with others.
- Be well groomed, appropriately for your role and wear ID Badge visibly.
- Be in compliance with all departmental and institutional policies, the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and completes NetLearning by due date annually.
- Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the institution.
- Adheres to safe working practices and at all times follows all institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Wears appropriate PPE as outlined by the infection control policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates compliance with all state, federal and all other regulatory agency requirements.
- Education: High school diploma required. Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in appropriate language skills preferred.
- Work Experience: 2 years recent and related experience utilizing language interpretation required. Healthcare or education experience preferred.
- Special Training, Certification or Licensure: Bridge in the Gap certification or equivalent preferred.
Salary Range: $18.93 - $24.68
At National Jewish Health, we recognize that our outstanding faculty and staff are the essence of our organization. For every aspect of health care, our employees are our greatest asset.
With that in mind, we have designed a valuable, comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of our employees and their families
- Medical Plans, Dental Plans and Vision Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- FSA and HSA
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Voluntary Benefits, like Accident Insurance, Critical Care and Hospital Indemnity
- Sick and Vacation Paid Time Off
- Wellness Program
- Legal Plan