The Senior Grant Writer is responsible for securing funding for accredited continuing medical education (CME) programs and initiatives through the design and development of successful grant proposals. Works independently under the direction of the Associate Director, Educational Strategy to project manage the entire grant process. This role must prioritize multiple tasks, projects, and deadlines daily and with agility. The Senior Grant Writer is also responsible for developing other written materials as assigned including articles for publication, award submissions, and program reporting to commercial supporters, grant administrators and other key partners.
- Project manages the entire grant process including research, faculty interviews, drafting proposals, ordering and integrating of literature reviews and vendor quotes, coordinating the review process to obtain timely approvals, development of accurate and feasible budgets, and submitting in funder portals according to deadlines.
- Determines strategy and articulates complex medical concepts and adult learning theory; gathers, formats, and synthesizes information from independent research, vendors, and team members.
- Identifies CME grant opportunities and needs. Regularly researches requests for proposal (RFPs), and participates in strategy meetings with the Professional Education Department and expert faculty.
- Prepares and copy edits competitive grant proposals with compelling copy to convey strategy based on biotech pipelines, complex medical therapeutic areas, adult learning theory, advanced technology solutions, and programmatic concepts.
- Applies critical literature evaluation skills to identify and synthesize complex clinical evidence.
- Develops reports, materials for publication, award submissions, and communication for the department as requested demonstrating strong writing and copy editing skills and exceptional attention to detail.
- Edits and proofreads materials prepared by Professional Education staff members for grammar, accuracy of text, style, and consistency.
- Works with faculty as directed to ensure accurate and timely information on medical education programs is prepared and submitted.
- Applies working knowledge of citation management and style guides such as AMA for appropriate formatting and editing of proposals, literature reviews, and educational format rationales.
- Performs as member of the Professional Education team attending meetings as needed.
- Utilizes desktop publishing or other appropriate tools to develop or adapt materials for grant preparation.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Accountability: Accepts full responsibility for self and contribution as a team member; displays honesty and truthfulness; confronts problems quickly; displays a strong commitment to organizational success and inspires others to commit to goals; demonstrates a commitment to National Jewish Health.
- Adaptability: Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Attention to Detail: Accomplishing tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time. Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Collaboration/Teamwork: Cooperates with others to accomplish common goals; works with employees within and across his/her department to achieve shared goals; treats others with dignity and respect and maintains a friendly demeanor; values the contributions of others.
- Creativity and Innovation: Applies creative problem-solving skills to develop solutions to problems; recognizes and demonstrates the value in taking “smart” risks and learning from mistakes; develops multiple alternatives and understands the feasibility of each; effectively shares and implements his/her ideas. Generates innovative solutions in work situations; tries different and novel ways to deal with work problems and opportunities.
- Informing and Communicating: Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
- Be available to work as scheduled and report to work on time.
- Be willing to accept supervision and work well with others.
- Be well groomed, appropriately for your role and wear ID Badge visibly.
- Be in compliance with all departmental and institutional policies, the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and completes NetLearning by due date annually.
- Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the institution.
- Adheres to safe working practices and at all times follows all institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Wears appropriate PPE as outlined by the infection control policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates compliance with all state, federal and all other regulatory agency requirements.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Biology or related field required. Advanced degree preferred.
- Work Experience: A minimum of three (3) years of recent and related experience as a professional writer required, including a portfolio of materials reflecting experience in the following areas: medical writing/reporting, fund-raising, grant writing, persuasive writing, and marketing. Experience in medical communications and/or CME writing preferred.
- Special Training, Certification or Licensure: None
$69,761 - $91,543/year
At National Jewish Health, we recognize that our outstanding faculty and staff are the essence of our organization. For every aspect of health care, our employees are our greatest asset.
With that in mind, we have designed a valuable, comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of our employees and their families
- Medical Plans, Dental Plans and Vision Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- FSA and HSA
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Voluntary Benefits, like Accident Insurance, Critical Care and Hospital Indemnity
- Sick and Vacation Paid Time Off
- Wellness Program
- Legal Plan
Salary Range: $69,761 - $91,543