Independently plans and provides specialized nursing care for patients and families in an oncology practice setting utilizing a systematic approach incorporating assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation. Practices in accordance with physician orders, established NJH policies and procedures, Oncology Nursing Society (ONS) and the values stated in the National Jewish Health and the Department of Nursing vision and mission. Provides nursing services within the scope of the RN as defined by the Colorado Board of Nursing. Assists others in developing their skills, knowledge, and abilities.
- Perform the following basic competencies: Provision of age-specific care, completion of specialized nursing competencies through the annual skills review, and any unit-specific competencies (if applicable, see addendum).
- Utilizes the nursing process (assessment, planning, implementation, evaluation) incorporating holistic needs and concerns for patients/family.
- Develops and documents a plan of care in collaboration with patient, family and other health care providers identifying actual and potential patient health care needs. Updates to plan of care are documented in approved format.
- Performs procedures and techniques involved in administering routine and special treatments to patients in accordance with National Jewish Health Policies and Procedures and ONS.
- Accurately documents nursing interventions and the patient's response using approved format.
- Formulates, documents, and evaluates an individual teaching plan including but not limited to disease process, appropriate use of medications, symptomology of a disease and medication side effects, and treatment options. Demonstrates effective patient teaching skills using one-on-one interventions and written National Jewish Health supportive material.
- Implements care and services that recognize age-specific needs and concerns for patients and their families.
- Manages a typical patient assignment, setting priorities, organizing activities, and utilizing available resources. Anticipates, initiates, and implements prescriptions/orders/referrals.
- Integrates, prioritizes and acts upon simultaneous sources of information requiring the attention of the professional nurse.
- Manages telephone communications including: assessing patient needs over the phone; providing appropriate advice within scope of practice; directing patient to appropriate level of care; communicating status to physician; addressing prescription requests; documenting interventions in approved format.
- Demonstrates commitment to patient safety. Assesses variances and communicates through appropriate channels. Activates and responds appropriately to emergency situations according to established policies and procedures and evidence based practice.
- Participates in the development of practice and services standards, policy and procedures. Actively supports evidenced-based program development and enhancement of patient care services by participating on approved hospital committees as evidenced by attendance at a minimum of 2/3 of meetings and reporting activities back to staff.
- Assists in guiding the professional growth of others Serves as a preceptor for new staff during orientation and continues as a role model, mentor and resource to all staff in the institution and within the practice.
- Provides leadership in educational activities. Shares knowledge and skills by presenting unit based or practice educational offerings yearly. This may include but is not limited to live presentations, posters, literature reviews and patient education material.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Performs, as directed, safety compliance and uses Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), as needed.
- Participates in Quality Assessment (QA) and Quality Improvement (QI) programs, as directed.
- Ensures compliance with The Joint Commission and all other Federal, State and Regulatory Agencies.
- Responds promptly and sincerely to customer's needs, requests and concerns via all communication forms using easily understood language and refraining from using inappropriate language and non-verbal gestures.
- Maintains positive working relationships as a team player through problem solving issues, speaking positively about others, listening attentively and observing the Patient Bill of Rights and Confidentiality.
- Increases customer service knowledge, skill and ability by participating in department and center-wide specific programs.
- Incorporates National Jewish's identity (Science Transforming Life®) into daily functions. Speaks positively about the center, provides customers with prompt service, maintains a clean and safe working environment, dresses appropriately based upon National Jewish safety standards, and departmental policies and wears an ID badge visibly.
Knowledge and Skills
Incumbent must have exceptional oral and written communication skills; attention to detail and ability to multi-task; and possess strong organizational skills. Capacity to establish and maintain positive relationships with internal and external customers while maintaining confidentiality. Incumbent must be a positive, professional team player. Must be knowledgeable in the scope of practice of the Registered Nurse, Certified Nursing Assistant and Medical Assistant. Must demonstrate appropriate application of the nursing process, professional nursing theory and practice. Must have the ability to independently seek out resources and work collaboratively with all employees of NJH. Must possess the ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with patients, families, members of the healthcare team, and administration. Incumbent must possess effective computer skills and the ability to use multiple software applications. Must demonstrate the ability to perform basic life support skills in an emergency.
Certification and Licensure
Current Colorado RN License and current CPR/BLS certification (ACLS or PALS is applicable for specific unit) is required. Chemo/Biotherapy certification required or must be obtained within 6 months of hire. ONS certification preferred but must be obtained before 2nd year of employment.
Graduation from an Accredited School of Nursing is required. BSN is preferred.
A minimum of two (2) years of recent and related RN experience is required.
Salary Range: Salary for this position is set at $39.00/hour