This position is responsible for the accurate diagnostic coding of inpatient and outpatient services provided to patients working from the appropriate documents from the medical records. Classification systems include the current ICD version as well as other specialty systems as required by the diagnostic category. All work is carried out in accordance with the rules, regulations and coding conventions of the Cooperating Parties and organizational coding guidelines.
- Assigns diagnostic codes to inpatient and outpatient accounts based on the services provided to the patients following the current ICD Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting and the organization’s internal coding guidelines including correct sequencing.
- Queries providers and/or appropriate staff when documentation or charges are missing, inadequate, ambiguous or unclear for coding purposes. Utilizes proper written and verbal communication skills.
- Understands the correct usage of Diagnosis Related Groups (DRG’s), Ambulatory Payment Classifications (APC’s) and Present on Admission (POA) indicators in order to code records appropriately within specific regulations.
- Correctly groups accounts for APC assignment and thoroughly works the medical necessity and compliance edits from the encoder software. This includes Local Coverage Determinations (LCD’s) as established by our Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC).
- Attends meetings and educational conferences for professional development and ongoing education to maintain coding credentials.
- Accountability: Accepts full responsibility for self and contribution as a team member; displays honesty and truthfulness; confronts problems quickly; displays a strong commitment to organizational success and inspires others to commit to goals; demonstrates a commitment to National Jewish Health.
- Attention to Detail: Accomplishing tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time. Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Energy: Consistently maintaining high levels of activity or productivity; operating with vigor, effectiveness, and determination over extended periods of time.
- Initiative: Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive.
- Professional Development: Actively identifying new areas for learning; regularly creating and taking advantage of learning opportunities; using newly gained knowledge and skill to enhance their contribution to the organization.
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
Minimal local travel may be required.
- Be available to work as scheduled and report to work on time.
- Be willing to accept supervision and work well with others.
- Be well groomed, appropriately for your role and wear ID Badge visibly.
- Be in compliance with all departmental and institutional policies, the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and completes NetLearning by due date annually.
- Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the institution.
- Adheres to safe working practices and at all times follows all institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Wears appropriate PPE as outlined by the infection control policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates compliance with all state, federal and all other regulatory agency requirements.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent required. Associate’s Degree in Health Information Technology, Medical or Business field preferred.
- Work Experience: A minimum of one year facility coding or medical records experience required
- Special Training, Certification or Licensure: A minimum of one (1) of the following certifications is required: CPC, COC (CPC-H), CCA, CCS, CCS-P. CCS, COC or RHIT.