The Seibold Laboratory is a cutting-edge, NIH funded, laboratory focused on elucidating the pathobiological basis of asthma and other complex lung and allergic diseases. Our goal is to discover pathobiological subgroups of disease (termed disease endotypes) and the genetic, environmental, and immune factors driving their development. We are accomplishing these goals through the integration of genomic endotyping studies of large patient cohorts with in vitro mechanistic studies of human organoid culture models. Ultimately, we will leverage the information gained from our research to develop precision medicine approaches for the diagnosis, management, and treatment of these diseases. The Seibold Laboratory is composed of a multi-disciplinary team of "wet lab" cell, airway, and molecular biologists integrated with "dry lab" computational biologists, bioinformaticians, and statistical geneticists.
To learn more about the lab, please visit https://www.seibold-lab.com.
We are seeking a Biostatistician to join the Seibold Lab team, with a background in bioinformatics, computer science, computational biology, biostatistics, or statistical genetics to join our team. The successful candidate will participate in studies that use high-throughput bulk and single-cell expression data to explore the molecular pathways of disease as well as eQTL and other omics data to elucidate the genetic and functional basis of these disease pathways. Working on these projects will involve the coding and implementation of pipelines and workflows, data management, statistical analysis, data visualization and communication, and method exploration and development, as the projects demand. The candidate will also contribute to the construction and writing of manuscripts for publication. As such, the applicant should have prior experience in the programming of high-throughput data analysis, strong communication skills, and an ability to collaborate with a broad and diverse team of researchers.
Successful candidates in the Biostatistician position will have:
- Masters in Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Statistical Genetics, Computational Biology, or a related field
- Proven experience writing custom scripts and using standard bioinformatics tools, packages, algorithms, and databases to analyze high-throughput genetic and genomic data
- Experience in shell scripting and in working in UNIX/LINUX environments
- Experience analyzing data using high-performance computing
- Demonstrated fluency in one or more programming languages (e.g., R, Python, Perl, Java, C++) and willingness to learn new programming languages as necessary
- Familiarity with statistical analytical concepts and methods
- Proven track-record in project development/management and ability to work on multiple projects concurrently, both in a collaborative team and independently
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Effective judgment and problem solving with little supervision
- Strong commitment to biomedical research
Preferred skills and experience:
- Masters or Ph.D. in Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Statistical Genetics, Computational Biology, or a related field
- Experience processing and analyzing bulk RNA-sequencing data (e.g., HISAT2, HTSeq, Samtools, DESeq2)
- Experience processing and analyzing single-cell RNA-sequencing data (e.g., Cell Ranger, Seurat, Monocle)
- Experience in eQTL mapping (e.g, FastQTL, Matrix eQTL)
- Experience in dimensionality reduction, clustering, and network analysis (PCA, hierarchical clustering, WGCNA, topic modeling)
Designs, manages and analyzes research data provided by National Jewish Health faculty and researchers, federally funded grants and entities outside National Jewish Health.
- Works with researchers to design, manage, analyze and provide reporting plansn for research projects.
- Prepares datasets for analysis.
- Creates statistical programs for data manipulation and analysis with software packages such as R and SAS.
- Provides expertise in statistics and computing in collaboration with investigators.
- Writes analytical sections of manuscripts and grants, and co-authors research articles.
- Implements data management and data quality control plans.
- Advises researchers about analytical software and to a limited degree, hardware.
- Analyzes data both independently and in conjunction with faculty.
- Assists investigators in running analysis and presentation programs.
- Participates in recommending software and hardware changes.
- Keeps abreast of new discoveries in science, i.e. genetics, genomics, and methods for analysis of these data.
- Accountability: Accepts full responsibility for self and contribution as a team member; displays honesty and truthfulness; confronts problems quickly; displays a strong commitment to organizational success and inspires others to commit to goals; demonstrates a commitment to National Jewish Health.
- Business Acumen: Using economic, financial, market, and industry data to understand and improve business results; using one’s understanding of major business functions, industry trends, and own organization’s position to contribute to effective business strategies and tactics.
- Collaboration/Teamwork: Cooperates with others to accomplish common goals; works with employees within and across his/her department to achieve shared goals; treats others with dignity and respect and maintains a friendly demeanor; values the contributions of others.
- Customer Focus: Ensuring that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; crafting and implementing service practices that meet customers’ and own organization’s needs.
- Peer Relationships: Interacts with others in a constructive, positive, and respectful manner, regardless of individual differences. Assists team members or co-workers in achieving personal goals and completing assignments.
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
- Be available to work as scheduled and report to work on time.
- Be willing to accept supervision and work well with others.
- Be well groomed, appropriately for your role and wear ID Badge visibly.
- Be in compliance with all departmental and institutional policies, the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and completes NetLearning by due date annually.
- Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the institution.
- Adheres to safe working practices and at all times follows all institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Wears appropriate PPE as outlined by the infection control policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates compliance with all state, federal and all other regulatory agency requirements.
- Education: Master’s degree in biostatistics or related field required.
- Work Experience: A minimum of two (2) years recent and related experience with statistical analysis of scientific data.
- Special Training, Certification or Licensure: None
Salary Range: $76,912 - $100,926