National Jewish Health is currently seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate to join Dr. Irina Petrache’s laboratory team.
This is a great opportunity for someone looking to start a career in research.
The Postdoctoral Research Associate will:
- Work on an individualized project in the field of COPD and the effects of sphingolipids in the development of lung disease in vivo and also using ex vivo tissue culture using lung cells derived from patient donors.
- Generate data on Sphingosine Kinase and Sphingosine-1 Phosphate models as they pertain to the development of emphysema, and to generate figures for presentation and publication at national and international meetings.
- Will spearhead their own project and work to produce a post-doctoral research grant
- Contribute to our team, working towards a better understanding of the role of sphingolipids, in particular Sphingosine-1 Phosphase, in lung disease as well as how they are influenced by cigarette smoking.
Candidates with a background in endothelial cell biology is a plus and should have routine molecular biology skills such as RTqPCR and western blotting, RNA and protein isolation from cells and tissues. Experience with endothelial and / or human lung tissue a plus.
To perform, on a very independent basis, all phases of experimental investigations and to collaborate with Principal Investigators and senior researchers in the progress of major research projects. To act as technical advisor to laboratory technical, support and auxiliary staff.
- Performs, on a very independent basis, all phases of experimental investigations, to include being responsible to the Principal Investigator in the planning, developing, operating, recording, collaborating and reporting of major projects.
- Collaborates with Principal Investigators and senior researchers in the progress of major research projects.
- Provides guidance to laboratory staff in one or more laboratory areas, including technicians, support and auxiliary staff. Performs as the technical advisor on techniques involving complex analyses utilizing highly sophisticated techniques. Serves as primary contact with researcher staff for technical services on major techniques, recording devices and statistical procedures relative to the specifically assigned field.
- Reviews quality control of new or modified laboratory techniques which affect any part of major projects.
- Performs routine and non-routine tests leading to the successful completion of developed experiments. Knows and follows age-specific guidelines.
- Performs as a back-up to staff absences and vacancies, as necessary.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Performs, as directed, safety compliance and uses Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), as needed.
- Participates in Quality Assessment (QA) and Quality Improvement (QI) programs, as directed.
- Ensures compliance with The Joint Commission and all other Federal, State and Regulatory Agencies.
- Responds promptly and sincerely to customer’s needs, requests and concerns via all communication forms using easily understood language and refraining from using inappropriate language and non-verbal gestures.
- Maintains positive working relationships as a team player through problem solving issues, speaking positively about others, listening attentively and observing the Patient Bill of Rights and Confidentiality.
- Increases customer service knowledge, skill and ability by participating in department and institution-wide specific programs.
- Incorporates National Jewish’s identity (Science Transforming Life®) into daily functions. Speaks positively about the institution, provides customers with prompt service, maintains a clean and safe working environment, dresses appropriately based upon National Jewish safety standards, and departmental policies and wears an ID badge visibly.
- Education: M. D.; or, Ph. D. in biology, chemistry or other basic sciences required.
- Work Experience: A minimum of five (5) years of specified experience in technical investigatory techniques required. M. D. or Ph. D. in a specified basic science field will suffice for 2 yrs experience.
- Special Training, Certification and Licensure: Extensive knowledge of standard research practices and methods, particularly in the field of assignment, and of other values of research in the field involved. Ability to determine the approach to a research problem which will give the most significant results and to develop, lay out and plan the actual experiments to be performed, and ability to devise new methods and techniques as needed in experimentation. Ability to plan, organize and direct work of supporting personnel. Ability to prepare and write reports on research projects. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, other research personnel and the general public.
Salary Range: $42,000 - $55,000
At National Jewish Health, we recognize that our outstanding faculty and staff are the essence of our organization. For every aspect of health care, our employees are our greatest asset.
With that in mind, we have designed a valuable, comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of our employees and their families
- Medical Plans, Dental Plans and Vision Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- FSA and HSA
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Voluntary Benefits, like Accident Insurance, Critical Care and Hospital Indemnity
- Sick and Vacation Paid Time Off
- Wellness Program
- Legal Plan