The Downey Lab at National Jewish Health is seeking a Lab Researcher to join our team. Our research program is focused on understanding mechanisms of lung injury and repair. We have a special interest in investigating lung remodeling and maladaptive repair that leads to scarring or fibrosis of the lungs. We seek novel therapeutic targets and approaches to this and other lung disease. Our collaborative team is made up of a senior and junior PI, as well as several experienced Lab Researchers and rotating students and trainees.
We are seeking a candidate with recent experience in mammalian tissue culture (primary and cell lines) and benchtop techniques. Assays used in the lab include:
- SDS-PAGE/Western Blotting,
- Microscopy (fluorescent and transmitted light),
- Molecular biology techniques (RNA/DNA extraction and purification, PCR, qPCR, genotyping).
Candidates should have experience in reading the scientific literature, designing their own experiments (including appropriate controls), interpreting data, and troubleshooting unexpected results. Guidance from PIs and senior members of the lab will always be available and training will be provided for techniques specifically utilized in the lab. The candidate should be willing to learn and work with the animal models we use to support our research. The ideal candidate will be a team player, self-motivated, organized, and demonstrate attention to detail.
The position is responsible for planning, developing, executing and monitoring testing techniques and investigative procedures under the direction of a Principal Investigator or Lab Manager.
- Develops new techniques and investigative procedures, including scientific routines, computer programming techniques and data reporting techniques.
- Monitors quality control of routines, experiments, general laboratory activities and the use of research animals in the laboratory setting.
- Performs laboratory functions unique to the assigned laboratory.
- Provides general guidance to laboratory staff, including technicians, support and auxiliary staff. Acts as a leader for laboratory programs and staff in assigned areas.
- Demonstrates enhanced proficiency in data analysis, preparation of glassware, extraction and plating procedures, programming and mathematical ordering systems.
- Prepares statistical tabulations, using a calculator or computer.
- Oversees supply functions, inventory control, equipment use and maintenance, and animal care and ordering, as needed.
- Maintains compliance with all institutional / safety training requirements.
- Maintains laboratory records, supplies, samples in an organized manner (such as a laboratory notebook and sample storage record).
- Acts a liaison to other department personnel, outside investigators, and vendors.
- Performs routine and non-routine tests leading to the successful completion of developed experiments.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Accountability: Accepts full responsibility for self and contribution as a team member; displays honesty and truthfulness; confronts problems quickly; displays a strong commitment to organizational success and inspires others to commit to goals; demonstrates a commitment to National Jewish Health.
- Laboratory Knowledge: Demonstrates and understands laboratory testing and methodology.
- Decision Quality: Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgement. Sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Adaptability: Maintains effectiveness in the midst of change in work responsibilities or environment, requirements ambiguity, or stress.
- Problem Solving: Uses issue identification, data relation and comparison, pattern recognition and information gathering to create analyses and make recommendations.
- Informing/Communicating: Conveys ideas, responses, or instructions effectively, appropriately, and persuasively through writing or speech.
- Professional Relationships: Interacts with others in a constructive, positive, and respectful manner, regardless of individual differences. Assists team members or co-workers in achieving personal goals and completing assignments.
- Drive for Excellence: Consistently meets performance expectations, ensures that accurate, objective, and timely measures of quality are made and used.
- Innovation Management: Identifies key trends, opportunities, and organizational capabilities that would bring competitive advantage to the organization. Sees trends before others and integrates concepts in a unique way.
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
- Be available to work as scheduled and report to work on time.
- Be willing to accept supervision and work well with others.
- Be well groomed, appropriately for your role and wear ID Badge visibly.
- Be in compliance with all departmental and institutional policies, the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and completes NetLearning by due date annually.
- Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the institution.
- Adheres to safe working practices and at all times follows all institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Wears appropriate PPE as outlined by the infection control policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates compliance with all state, federal and all other regulatory agency requirements.
- Education: Bachelor's Degree required.
- Work Experience: 2 years of Laboratory Experience required.A Master’s Degree and laboratory experience may be substituted for the required 2 years of work experience.
- Special Training, Certification or Licensure: None
Salary Range: $21.00 - $25.00
At National Jewish Health, we recognize that our outstanding faculty and staff are the essence of our organization. For every aspect of health care, our employees are our greatest asset.
With that in mind, we have designed a valuable, comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of our employees and their families.
- Medical Plans, Dental Plans and Vision Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- FSA and HSA
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Voluntary Benefits, like Accident Insurance, Critical Care and Hospital Indemnity
- Sick and Vacation Paid Time Off
- Wellness Program
- Legal Plan