This job posting is no longer active.
To perform, specific analysis/assays in the clinical laboratory under the direction of the supervisor as an entry level laboratory scientist. To produce accurate tests results for all patients and perform the following essential responsibilities.
- Performs high complexity tests that are authorized by the laboratory leadership. Adheres to and understands the laboratory’s quality control policies documenting all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed.
- Follows set guidelines to troubleshoot/correct assay problems or instrument malfunctions. Performs maintenance and works with supervisor in troubleshooting QC or instrument problems.
- Follows the laboratory’s and NJH established policies and procedure manuals. Reviews and signs laboratory and personnel SOP on an annual basis. Is responsible for completing NetLearning in a timely manner. Follows specific biosafety standards for the laboratory and protocols for handling potentially infectious material.
- Performs error correction, data entry and compilation of data packets as required. Documents all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications.
- Participates and maintains records that demonstrate that proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens.
- Follows GxP (e.g., GLP, GCLP, GCP, etc.) standards as defined by different national and international organizations (e.g., ISO, FDA, OECD, etc.) when appropriate.
- Performs competencies (including age-specific competencies and/or non-human species) as identified through the departmental competency program.
- Appropriately uses the computer systems in the department, including proper use of order/reports/charging, and maximizes personal proficiency. Responds appropriately to email and other forms of communication in a timely manner.
- Monitors and reports on stocks of supplies and equipment, as directed. Makes reagents as necessary.
- Participates in preparation for inspections where required.
- Attends continuing education programs sponsored by National Jewish Health, manufacturer in-services and/or professional society programs. Makes efforts to obtain at least 12 CEU credits per year including but not limited to the following: webinars, lunch and learn seminars, seminars, etc.
- Accountability: Accepts full responsibility for self and contribution as a team member; displays honesty and truthfulness; confronts problems quickly; displays a strong commitment to organizational success and inspires others to commit to goals; demonstrates a commitment to National Jewish Health.
- Laboratory Knowledge: Clearly discusses scientific principle behind laboratory testing; understands functional mission, own job requirements and impact on the organization.
- Customer Focus: Will look at processes and results with the laboratory in mind; understand organizational roles and associated functions; maintains personal integrity, admits mistakes, and keeps promises; follows up on promises to ensure accuracy and timeliness of fulfillment; takes personal responsibility for correcting customer or physician problems; recognizes the importance of maintaining customer and physician relationships; all work is conducted in the spirit of “what’s in it for the customer or patient.”
- Decision Quality: Exhibits one-dimensional decisions that are advantageous to either the laboratory or the patient; comfortable making decisions with lots of consensus; knows when they can make decisions independently.
- Drive for Results: Can identify own mistakes and proactively fixes when identified; productivity is at expectations; adapts to personnel changes and shifts in laboratory environment; will regularly take on new initiatives as directed.
- Informing Communicating: Addresses issues as they arise or within an appropriate time interval; effectively uses all forms of communication; informs coworkers/leadership of when work product may be affected.
- Managing Change: Maintains open mind and willingness to try new ideas or approaches; analyzes both success and failure to determine how to improve; has a desire to learn.
- Professional Relationships: Quickly establishes and maintains rapport and credibility with laboratory team; respects differing opinions and viewpoints; is consistently polite and courteous to others; performs work in team setting and contributes to the success of the team in a meaningful way; maintains personal integrity, admits mistakes, and keeps promises; maintains a positive attitude.
- Problem Solving: Collects and organizes data before initiating analysis and asks questions to prioritize key issues; identifies inconsistent details within SOPs or processes; able to work through immediate problem with assistance.
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
- Be available to work as scheduled and report to work on time.
- Be willing to accept supervision and work well with others.
- Be well groomed, appropriately for your role and wear ID Badge visibly.
- Be in compliance with all departmental and institutional policies, the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and completes NetLearning by due date annually.
- Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the institution.
- Adheres to safe working practices and at all times follows all institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Wears appropriate PPE as outlined by the infection control policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates compliance with all state, federal and all other regulatory agency requirements.
- Education: Bachelors of Science degree in biology, chemistry or a related scientific field required.
- Work Experience: Previous laboratory experience preferred.
- Special Training, Certification or Licensure: None
Salary Range: Salary for this position starts at $22.50/hour.
At National Jewish Health, we recognize that our outstanding faculty and staff are the essence of our organization. For every aspect of health care, our employees are our greatest asset.
With that in mind, we have designed a valuable, comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of our employees and their families.
- Medical Plans, Dental Plans and Vision Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- FSA and HSA
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Voluntary Benefits, like Accident Insurance, Critical Care and Hospital Indemnity
- Sick and Vacation Paid Time Off
- Wellness Program
- Legal Plan