This position promotes efficient, high quality clinical practice by providing guidance through collaborating with the team to manage patient flow and communication. Will assist with performing patient care, basic diagnostic, specimen collection, and processing of blood specimens. To deliver safe and appropriate patient care within the scope of practice and established policies and procedures, under the direct clinical support and supervision of a licensed professional.
- Greets patients and visitors in a professional, prompt, courteous, and helpful manner. Supports front desk responsibilities to include registration and scheduling. Utilizes standard procedures for the maintenance of positive patient identification; verifies and records appropriate collection information on laboratory documentation.
- Assists with preparing patients for examination, may obtain patient medical history by accurately taking vital signs (temperature, pulse, respirations, blood pressure, height and weight), and documents the results in appropriate systems and/or EMR. May review medication list. May perform spirometry and/or other pre-appointment testing and documents the results appropriately.
- Performs a variety of routine blood drawing procedures to include venipuncture techniques using standard equipment - including vacutainer tubes, tourniquets, syringes, butterfly needles and straight needles. Reporting of any adverse reactions to supervisor or nursing staff.
- Receives, accesses, and correctly processes patient samples per established protocols (including centrifuging, operating semi and fully automated equipment). May utilize point of care instruments, such as the ISTAT, Piccolo, glucometer, etc.
- Completes required educational programs: BLS, Mandatory in-services, Department and unit-based competencies; and participates in unit based QI program as requested.
- May coordinate telephone communication with patients, families, referring providers and other members of the health team; utilize follow-up system to assure care follow up and coordination is accomplished; tasking by utilizing scripted call backs relaying messages from the clinical licensed professional.
- Knows emergency procedures, location and use of emergency equipment and responds appropriately to emergency/code situations.
- Observes and reports changes in signs and symptoms or deviations from normal health status.
- Performs clinical skills as guided by competency validation and delegation.
- May assist in the orientation of new staff members.
- May provide backup to the Unit Coordinator.
- May perform electrocardiograms (EKGs) or other diagnostic tests on patients as directed, processes and files patient charts, and monitors procedure activity under supervision.
- Accountability: Accepts full responsibility for self and contribution as a team member; displays honesty and truthfulness; confronts problems quickly; displays a strong commitment to organizational success and inspires others to commit to goals; demonstrates a commitment to National Jewish Health.
- Attention to Detail: Accomplishing tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time. Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Collaboration/Teamwork: Cooperates with others to accomplish common goals; works with employees within and across his/her department to achieve shared goals; treats others with dignity and respect and maintains a friendly demeanor; values the contributions of others.
- Customer Focus: Ensuring that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; crafting and implementing service practices that meet customers’ and own organization’s needs.
- Energy: Consistently maintaining high levels of activity or productivity; operating with vigor, effectiveness, and determination over extended periods of time.
- Initiative: Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive.
- Patient Relations: Meeting patient and patient family needs; taking responsibility for a patient’s safety, satisfaction, and clinical outcomes; using appropriate interpersonal techniques to resolve difficult patient situations and regain patient confidence.
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
- Be available to work as scheduled and report to work on time.
- Be willing to accept supervision and work well with others.
- Be well groomed, appropriately for your role and wear ID Badge visibly.
- Be in compliance with all departmental and institutional policies, the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and completes NetLearning by due date annually.
- Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the institution.
- Adheres to safe working practices and at all times follows all institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Wears appropriate PPE as outlined by the infection control policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates compliance with all state, federal and all other regulatory agency requirements.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent required. College level courses in Biology, related life sciences and/or medical terminology is preferred.
- Work Experience: A minimum of one (1) year of recent phlebotomy or CNA experience in a medical office or other healthcare setting preferred.
- Special Training, Certification or Licensure: Current CPR/BLS required. Phlebotomy Technician, PBT (ASCP), Phlebotomy Certification or Certified Nursing Assistant Certification required. IV Certification preferred.
Salary Range: $18.00 - $21.00
At National Jewish Health, we recognize that our outstanding faculty and staff are the essence of our organization. For every aspect of health care, our employees are our greatest asset.
With that in mind, we have designed a valuable, comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of our employees and their families.
- Medical Plans, Dental Plans and Vision Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- FSA and HSA
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Voluntary Benefits, like Accident Insurance, Critical Care and Hospital Indemnity
- Sick and Vacation Paid Time Off
- Wellness Program
- Legal Plan