The Division of Environmental & Occupational Health Sciences (DEOHS) is seeking a curious, dynamic Data Engineer to work with our staff of clinicians, researchers and our outreach group, including support of the diagnostic laboratories who perform testing for occupationally exposed workers. Each sub-team requires specific assistance with database programming, data management and report generation to meet timelines and internal and external contractual obligations. This position will be responsible for IT maintenance within the division working with the institutional IT department and providing input and expertise for upcoming IT updates across the institution that will impact DEOHS.
Working with a highly-collaborative interdisciplinary team to implement, maintain and improve computer information systems for the Division of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences. Combines knowledge of the department with information technology skills to increase efficiency and improve flow of information. Overall, performs advanced professional work in database design and administration, as well as computer operations coordination including security and back-up.
- Works with I.S.T., vendors, clients, physicians, staff and statisticians to analyze user requirements, and develops application systems with documentation for departmental operations, data management, and analysis of clinical and research activities including quality control, reporting, report generation, data extracts and custom lookup screens in user-friendly formats that adhere to HIPAA as required.
- Supports existing applications in DEOHS by maintaining the integrity of major and minor databases used, establishes and maintains electronic data transfer between DEOHS and its internal and external business partners, adds and removes users as needed, adds and removes features to applications as required, fixes bugs as need and upgrades applications to newer software when necessary, as well as ensuring results are available to partners/clients.
- Provides data support for databases and applications by running data extracts, adding, modifying and removing records when requested, archives data, and provides audit support to track down changes as needed.
- Develops proficiency in new database systems, languages, operating platforms and database tools as new technologies are acquired.
- Provides leadership in software implementation and hardware upgrade projects including recommendations, creation of test environments, training user staff, and solving problems to meet target dates.
- Provides computer and application support to DEOHS department staff, and collaborates with IST in the design and implementation of computing resources to ensure that all activities related to National Jewish computing are compatible.
- Creates and maintains documentation for DEOHS application systems: including descriptive functional documents for end users, job flow documents for operations staff, system flow for programmer maintenance.
- Accountability: Accepts full responsibility for self and contribution as a team member; displays honesty and truthfulness; confronts problems quickly; displays a strong commitment to organizational success and inspires others to commit to goals; demonstrates a commitment to National Jewish Health.
- Customer Focus: Ensuring that the customer (external and internal) perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; crafting and implementing service practices that meet customers’ and own organization’s needs.
- Collaboration/Teamwork: Cooperates with others to accomplish common goals; works with employees within and across his/her department to achieve shared goals; treats others with dignity and respect and maintains a friendly demeanor; values the contributions of others.
- Building Trust: Interacting with others in a way that gives them confidence in one’s intentions and those of the organization.
- Informing and Communicating: Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message
- Managing Work and Time/Project Management: Effectively managing one’s time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently. Effectively manages project(s) by appropriately focusing attention on the critical few priorities; effectively creates and executes against project timelines based on priorities, resource availability, and other project requirements (i.e., budget); effectively evaluates planned approaches, determines feasibility,
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
- Be available to work as scheduled and report to work on time.
- Be willing to accept supervision and work well with others.
- Be well groomed, appropriately for your role and wear ID Badge visibly.
- Be in compliance with all departmental and institutional policies, the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and completes NetLearning by due date annually.
- Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the institution.
- Adheres to safe working practices and at all times follows all institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Wears appropriate PPE as outlined by the infection control policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates compliance with all state, federal and all other regulatory agency requirements.
- Education: A Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science in information systems, computer sciences, or computer related field required.
- Work Experience: A minimum of 3 years experience in using MS Access/Visual Basic, SQL Server or equivalent programming environment for application development and database programming preferred. Medical or scientific environment preferred. Experience with Tableau, programming in SAS, and web-based, data centric programming preferred.
- Special Training, Certification or Licensure: None
Salary Range: $85,000 - $100,000
At National Jewish Health, we recognize that our outstanding faculty and staff are the essence of our organization. For every aspect of health care, our employees are our greatest asset.
With that in mind, we have designed a valuable, comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of our employees and their families.
- Medical Plans, Dental Plans and Vision Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- FSA and HSA
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Voluntary Benefits, like Accident Insurance, Critical Care and Hospital Indemnity
- Sick and Vacation Paid Time Off
- Wellness Program
- Legal Plan