This job posting is no longer active.
Calling all creative problem solvers, strategic thinkers, and number nerds!
National Jewish Health, the leading respiratory hospital in the nation, is currently seeking a Grants Management Specialist to join our team. Grants Management Specialists provide financial management of research proposals and awarded funds and ensure the quality, consistency, and efficiency of pre- and post-award processes. We’re a close-knit and collaborative team who value successful and rewarding work relationships. If you are seeking meaningful work in a dynamic healthcare environment, we invite you to join our team.
This is a full-time position that allows for a hybrid work schedule with both on-site and remote work days.
To support research and administration by conducting strategic analysis in relation to grants, including interpreting and communicating complex financial data to assist in decision-making, ensuring compliance with internal NJH policies and external regulations, and to serve as subject matter experts for the planning, implementation and evaluation of grant applications.
- Responsible for the financial management of externally funded research projects. Coordinates all aspects of the grant application process, ensuring proposals are submitted in an accurate and timely manner, consistent with sponsor and institutional requirements. Ensures awarded projects are properly managed within the budget and terms & conditions of the award.
- Understands and ensures compliance with regulatory requirements and National Jewish Health policies. Maintains expertise as regulations and policies change.
- Develop budgets for grant applications. Works with other members of the PI’s team to make certain each budget fully reflects the specifics of the project and is compliant with the sponsor’s requirements.
- Enters grant applications into electronic systems - i.e., Cayuse - and/or ensures the entry of the required components. Works with subrecipients and vendors to obtain the necessary information and/or certifications. Collaborates with other members of the PI’s team to meet grant deadlines. Completes the Internal Research Review form (IRR).
- Ensures grant expenditures are appropriate and compliant with relevant regulations and policies; reviews quarterly grant expenditure certification reports for faculty review and approval.
- Tracks project invoices from submission to payment and approves individual purchasing and payment transactions as appropriate. Manage costs consistent with the budget to make sure sufficient funds are available to meet the programmatic goals of the project.
- Prepare reports of actual and projected financial position for individual projects and an investigator’s complete portfolio. Identifies funding gaps and opportunities and makes recommendations to address. Meets regularly with investigators to review grant finances.
- Tracks and manages time and effort reporting, salary distributions, and financial and narrative reporting requirements.
- Serves as a key member of the PI’s team and works closely with other team members to affect the successful implementation of the project.
- Works closely with the Central Grants Office on the project establishment and close-out processes.
- Remains a member of the Grants Management team providing back-up and support for other Grants Management Specialists in the accomplishment of departmental and institutional goals.
- Performs, as directed, safety compliance and uses Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), as needed.
- Participates in Quality Assessment (QA) and Quality Improvement (QI) programs, as directed.
- Ensures compliance with The Joint Commission and all other Federal, State and Regulatory Agencies.
- Responds promptly and sincerely to customer’s needs, requests and concerns via all communication forms using easily understood language and refraining from using inappropriate language and non-verbal gestures.
- Maintains positive working relationships as a team player through problem-solving issues, speaking positively about others, listening attentively and observing the Patient Bill of Rights and Confidentiality.
- Increases customer service knowledge, skill and ability by participating in department and institution-wide specific programs.
- Incorporates National Jewish’s identity (Science Transforming Life®) into daily functions. Speaks positively about the institution, provides customers with prompt service, maintains a clean and safe working environment, dresses appropriately based upon National Jewish safety standards, and departmental policies and wears an ID badge visibly.
- Accountability: Accepts full responsibility for self and contribution as a team member; displays honesty and truthfulness; confronts problems quickly; displays a strong commitment to organizational success and inspires others to commit to goals; demonstrates a commitment to National Jewish Health.
- Attention to Detail: Accomplishing tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time. Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Collaboration/Teamwork: Cooperates with others to accomplish common goals; works with employees within and across his/her department to achieve shared goals; treats others with dignity and respect and maintains a friendly demeanor; values the contributions of others.
- Managing Work and Time / Project Management: Effectively managing one’s time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently. Effectively manages project(s) by appropriately focusing attention on the critical few priorities; effectively creates and executes against project timelines based on priorities, resource availability, and other project requirements (i.e., budget); effectively evaluates planned approaches, determines feasibility, and makes adjustments when needed.
- Problem-Solving: Uses issue identification, data relation and comparison, pattern recognition and information gathering to create analyses and make recommendations.
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
- Be available to work as scheduled and report to work on time.
- Be willing to accept supervision and work well with others.
- Be well groomed, appropriately for your role and wear ID Badge visibly.
- Be in compliance with all departmental and institutional policies, the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and completes NetLearning by due date annually.
- Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the institution.
- Adheres to safe working practices and at all times follows all institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Wears appropriate PPE as outlined by the infection control policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates compliance with all state, federal and all other regulatory agency requirements.
- Education: Bachelor degree required; Business Administration or finance related field preferred.
- Work Experience: A minimum of three (3) years financial administration experience ideally in an academic, research or governmental organization required. Experience with grants and related regulations preferred.
- Special Training, Certification or Licensure: None
Salary Range: $65,000 - $75,000
At National Jewish Health, we recognize that our outstanding faculty and staff are the essence of our organization. For every aspect of health care, our employees are our greatest asset.
With that in mind, we have designed a valuable, comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of our employees and their families.
- Medical Plans, Dental Plans and Vision Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- FSA and HSA
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Voluntary Benefits, like Accident Insurance, Critical Care and Hospital Indemnity
- Sick and Vacation Paid Time Off
- Wellness Program
- Legal Plan