Provides ingenuity with scientific assay development within laboratory. Collaborates with the Executive Director, Associate Executive Director, Business Development Director, and Laboratory Directors on all testing related to the tests performed in the Complement Laboratory.
- Continuously maintains all quality and regulatory standards for CAP/CLIA/GLP regulations pertinent to the laboratory in collaboration with the Quality Director. Responds promptly to any quality audit findings.
- Works with laboratory supervisors to ensure day-to-day running of laboratory, including creating and reviewing metric dashboards and quality reporting.
- Responsible for proficiency testing analysis (in collaboration with Director initially until confident of taking over responsibility and interpretation).
- In collaboration with Business Development and Laboratory Director, consults with clinical study clients on assay and study design as applicable. May take a more independent role in this area and work independently with clients.
- Reviews assay QC parameters on a regular basis and investigates out of control run/assay issues. Works with laboratory and Sr. scientist to troubleshoot assay issues. Consults with laboratory director as needed.
- Collaborates with laboratory director and Data Analyst on clinical study reports. Takes responsibility for study reports as appropriate and communicates with clients regarding changes, edits and comments.
- Collaborates with Laboratory Director to drive the development and/or clinical validation of new assays. Works with Sr. scientist on validation plans and execution of experiments that occurs in a timely manner consistent with industry standards and client contractual obligations.
- Works with Laboratory Director to manage laboratory to the expense and net margin targets established for laboratory’s operational budget, pricing of studies and new assays.
- Participates in promoting laboratory expertise, capabilities, and quality to internal and external clients.
- Accountability: Accepts full responsibility for self and contribution as a team member; displays honesty and truthfulness; confronts problems quickly; displays a strong commitment to organizational success and inspires others to commit to goals; demonstrates a commitment to National Jewish Health.
- Attention to Detail: Accomplishing tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time. Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Building Strategic Relationships: Identifying opportunities and taking action to build strategic relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, units, or organizations to help achieve business goals.
- Business Acumen: Using economic, financial, market, and industry data to understand and improve business results; using one’s understanding of major business functions, industry trends, and own organization’s position to contribute to effective business strategies and tactics.
- Creativity and Innovation: Applies creative problem-solving skills to develop solutions to problems; recognizes and demonstrates the value in taking “smart” risks and learning from mistakes; develops multiple alternatives and understands the feasibility of each; effectively shares and implements his/her ideas. Generates innovative solutions in work situations; tries different and novel ways to deal with work problems and opportunities.
- Coaching and Teaching Others: Providing timely guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem.
- Collaboration/Teamwork: Cooperates with others to accomplish common goals; works with employees within and across his/her department to achieve shared goals; treats others with dignity and respect and maintains a friendly demeanor; values the contributions of others.
- Customer Focus: Ensuring that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; crafting and implementing service practices that meet customers’ and own organization’s needs.
- Decision Making: Identifying and understanding issues, problems, and opportunities; comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
Occasional (10-15% of time) to attend scientific conferences to promote the laboratory and participate in scientific discussions.
- Be available to work as scheduled and report to work on time.
- Be willing to accept supervision and work well with others.
- Be well groomed, appropriately for your role and wear ID Badge visibly.
- Be in compliance with all departmental and institutional policies, the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and completes NetLearning by due date annually.
- Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the institution.
- Adheres to safe working practices and at all times follows all institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Wears appropriate PPE as outlined by the infection control policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates compliance with all state, federal and all other regulatory agency requirements.
- Education: PhD in scientific discipline.
- Work Experience: A minimum of five years in a laboratory setting with an increasing scope of expertise.
- Special Training, Certification or Licensure: Expected to take board certification examination (ABB) within 2 years of appointment.
Salary Range: $95,000 - $100,000
At National Jewish Health, we recognize that our outstanding faculty and staff are the essence of our organization. For every aspect of health care, our employees are our greatest asset.
With that in mind, we have designed a valuable, comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of our employees and their families.
- Medical Plans, Dental Plans and Vision Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- FSA and HSA
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Voluntary Benefits, like Accident Insurance, Critical Care and Hospital Indemnity
- Sick and Vacation Paid Time Off
- Wellness Program
- Legal Plan