The Numata-Nakamura Lab at National Jewish Health is seeking a highly motivated and skilled Postdoctoral Research Associate to join our team. Our lab is studying innate immunity of the lung, focusing on anti-viral effects of pulmonary surfactant phospholipids against respiratory viruses (e.g., Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), Influenza A, Rhinovirus and SARS-CoV-2) using primary human airway epithelial cells and immune cells.
Techniques used in the lab include, human primary cell cultures maintained in air-liquid interface cultures, fluorescence microscopy, flow cytometry, ELISA, molecular biology (DNA/RNA isolation, PCR), viral replication to make recombinant viruses and in vivo animal models. Training on specific techniques used in the laboratory will be provided. Significant experience with bacterial culture and molecular biology and/or mammalian cells is strongly preferred.
While prior experience is not required for this position, candidates who have been exposed to basic research methods and show enthusiasm for basic science research are strongly preferred. The work performed will be under the supervision of Dr. Numata-Nakamura, or other senior personnel. The ideal candidate should demonstrate attention to detail and be organized, responsible, and a good communicator. Additional tasks will include general laboratory maintenance and operations. A cover letter is required for review of the application.
To perform, on a very independent basis, all phases of experimental investigations and to collaborate with Principal Investigators and senior researchers in the progress of major research projects. To act as technical advisor to laboratory technical, support and auxiliary staff.
- Performs, on a very independent basis, all phases of experimental investigations, to include being responsible to the Principal Investigator in the planning, developing, operating, recording, collaborating and reporting of major projects.
- Collaborates with Principal Investigators and senior researchers in the progress of major research projects.
- Provides guidance to laboratory staff in one or more laboratory areas, including technicians, support and auxiliary staff. Performs as the technical advisor on techniques involving complex analyses utilizing highly sophisticated techniques. Serves as primary contact with researcher staff for technical services on major techniques, recording devices and statistical procedures relative to the specifically assigned field.
- Reviews quality control of new or modified laboratory techniques which affect any part of major projects.
- Performs routine and non-routine tests leading to the successful completion of developed experiments. Knows and follows age-specific guidelines.
- Performs as a back-up to staff absences and vacancies, as necessary.
- Accountability: Accepts full responsibility for self and contribution as a team member; displays honesty and truthfulness; confronts problems quickly; displays a strong commitment to organizational success and inspires others to commit to goals; demonstrates a commitment to National Jewish Health.
- Laboratory Knowledge: Demonstrates and understands laboratory testing and methodology.
- Decision Quality: Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgement. Sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Adaptability: Maintains effectiveness in the midst of change in work responsibilities or environment, requirements ambiguity, or stress.
- Problem Solving: Uses issue identification, data relation and comparison, pattern recognition and information gathering to create analyses and make recommendations.
- Informing/Communicating: Conveys ideas, responses, or instructions effectively, appropriately, and persuasively through writing or speech.
- Professional Relationships: Interacts with others in a constructive, positive, and respectful manner, regardless of individual differences. Assists team members or co-workers in achieving personal goals and completing assignments.
- Drive for Excellence: Consistently meets performance expectations, ensures that accurate, objective, and timely measures of quality are made and used.
- Innovation Management: Identifies key trends, opportunities, and organizational capabilities that would bring competitive advantage to the organization. Sees trends before others and integrates concepts in a unique way.
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
- Be available to work as scheduled and report to work on time.
- Be willing to accept supervision and work well with others.
- Be well groomed, appropriately for your role and wear ID Badge visibly.
- Be in compliance with all departmental and institutional policies, the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and completes NetLearning by due date annually.
- Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the institution.
- Adheres to safe working practices and at all times follows all institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Wears appropriate PPE as outlined by the infection control policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates compliance with all state, federal and all other regulatory agency requirements.
- Education: MD or PhD in biology, chemistry or other basic sciences required.
- Work Experience: A minimum of five years of specified experience in technical investigatory techniques required. MD or PhD in a specified basic science field will suffice for 2 years experience.
- Special Training, Certification or Licensure: None
Salary Range: $55,000 - $65,000
At National Jewish Health, we recognize that our outstanding faculty and staff are the essence of our organization. For every aspect of health care, our employees are our greatest asset.
With that in mind, we have designed a valuable, comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of our employees and their families.
- Medical Plans, Dental Plans and Vision Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- FSA and HSA
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Voluntary Benefits, like Accident Insurance, Critical Care and Hospital Indemnity
- Sick and Vacation Paid Time Off
- Wellness Program
- Legal Plan